Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 13Amp socket with USB Charger

Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Bennet wrote
DerbyBorn wrote

Provided I get a decent make - are there
any risks to consider? Any snags?

FWIW I think they are a horrible gimmick. They will permanently take
power even when you are not charging anything - albeit a small amount.

I leave my discreet ones plugged in all the time
anyway, because that is the most convenient.

I believe it is best practice to disconnect
electrical items when not in use.

You're wrong with high efficiency switch mode stuff.

Eventually the smoothing electrolytics will blow

By that time they may well be obsolete anyway.

So why physically install an appliance

It isnt an appliance, its just a wall socket.

that will become obsolete. Use a portable one instead.

Can be more convenient to have one with 4 USB sockets
so you can change multiple devices simultaneously.

potentially causing a hazard.

Not if buy a well designed one.

People used to think Samsung
and Hotpoint were well designed.

And those with even half a clue know that Apple chargers
are and can check teardowns on that to see that they are.