Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Police comms

On 23/12/16 11:58, Judith wrote:
Simon Mason recently said:

".........in distress as do the police on a weekly basis as I hear them on my
scanner."

I would be interested in how it is done : listening in to police
communications.

(I thought it was illegal - but now understand that it isn't - and people like
Simon do it quite legally)

It is illegal to deliberately listen (or attempt to listen) to any
transmission not intended for general/public reception.

Plus, since police comms have 'gone digital' (probably) everywhere in
the UK, it is technically far from easy if not impossible in the UK.
The days of listening to the police on (relatively) cheap scanners have
long gone.