Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to the sidewall?

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 01:13:08 -0500, FromTheRafters advised:

One time as I was crossing some railroad tracks, I heard my tire going
phtt phtt phtt phtt with every rotation. I pulled over and put on my
spare. Took the tire to a shop to see what happened and to get it
repaired if possible. The object which punctured the tire was found
inside, it was a spark plug.

Wow. A apark plug. I wonder if that's what I ran over?

One day, decades ago, when I was just an obnoxious kid, I was following a
truck at night on a crowded New York highway and I made the mistake of
****ing him off (I was young and stupid). I probably beeped him or flipped
him the bird but I don't remember what I did nor what he did to cause the
altercation. He may have been innocent and he is just circumstantial, but
while I was following him, my tire suddenly blew.

All I remember was hearing a loud POW and my tire was flat instantly.

There was a gash in the tire tread, as I recall, and nothing else visible.
As if a knife had been stuck in the tire. I changed to the spare, and
remember thinking, "never **** off truckers" (and I never did again, since
truckers are not your friend).

A day or two later, when the tire is replaced, there is an actual deep mark
in the alloy wheels on the *inside* of the rim directly across from where
that gash was, but no object. To this day, I don't know what suddenly
flattened that tire; but whatever it was, it was big.

Whatever flattened that tire was long enough to go inside the tire and
touch the inside of the rim which is a few inches, but it then came out. It
was like as if a railroad spike had been run over.