Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to the sidewall?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 22:13:52 -0500, Ed Pawlowski advised:

Wow. I seem to have at least one a year, and sometimes more (lately).

I drive about 22,000 miles a year and the worst case is to add some air
a couple of times. Present car has 25,000 miles and for the first time
I had to put air in one when the TPM went of when it was 7 degrees one
morning.

I don't have TPMS and I only drive around 12 to 15k per year, but I get
about 1 flat a year, on average and my tires last about two years on
average.

Ah, it pretty much has. Many cars have a can of air now.

Is that right?
I have never seen a car that didn't come with a spare tire, although some
come with cheap donuts instead of a real spare. Mine are 15 years old at
the very least, so all mine have real spares.

It was dark, about 35 degrees and raining. Took the guy about a half
hout to show up and do the change. Meantime I shopped in Home Depot.

Well, if you're off the highway, that's a different story 'cuz you can rest
at a Starbucks; but if you're on the highway, then it's quicker to change
the tire than it is to wait for AAA to change the tire.

Safety is a factor though, so, being towed off the highway to change the
tire could be a factor though. I think, in California, towing off the
highway is free, paid for by your taxes (I have to check that to be sure).

The first time was a dozen years ago. I ran over a body bolt and it
made a big hole in the sidewall. Car was about two months old. I took
the other car to work. Dealer came over, took the tire off and mounted
a new one, put it back. No idea how long it took them but I lost no
time. Had to pay for the tire, of course.

Sidewall holes are bad news.

When I was a teenager driving a '53 Merc with either used tire or
recaps, I changed many tires. Found a better way.

I used to change my motorcycle tires myself. I don't know anyone who
doesn't, but I guess some tire shops do bike tires.