Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Solar PV now world's cheapest electricity.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 11:21:35 -0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:50:51 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 16/12/16 11:32, alan_m wrote:
On 16/12/2016 08:50, harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a7477096.html

Are the costs for storage or an for alternative source for when it's
dark factored in?

Course not.

Yes, they are. They use Powerpacks.

Never heard of Powerpacks; looked them up; a Tesla system.
https://www.tesla.com/powerpack Scroll down nearly to the bottom for
overall system specs: 210kWh, 50kW, per Powerpack. So just over four
hours before it's flat at that 50kW rate. Assuming average annual
domestic electricity consumption of 3,300kWh, i.e. a rate of 0.377kW,
gives a battery capacity of 557 hours if connected to a single
household, or 23 houses for 24 hours.

Assuming a UK power consumption of 55GW early on a cold January
evening, and no wind or nasty CO2-producing CCGT power stations, it
would take 1.1 million Powerpacks to tide us over for a few hours. Is
that worth having? A matter of opinion, I guess, but I don't see
anything about how much a Powerpack costs, nor do I see anything about
their lifetimes (but I've not looked very hard for either).

I also see there's a company called Camborne* that's installing one of
these systems in Somerset http://tinyurl.com/zrf3fhs . It will power
'over 500 homes' they say. But for how long? Hours? Weeks? The usual
misleading stuff from the alternative energy brigade anxious to cash
in on the public concern about AGW and climate change. I'm surprised
they don't claim to be able to power all the homes in the UK, which
would be true, after all, even if only for a few seconds!

*confused me at first because Camborne is a town not far from me in
West Cornwall.

People will just have to stop being wimps and wasting energy on heating. Energy should be used for productive things like TV sets.

--
What do you call kinky sex with chocolate?
S&M&M