Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Network Dymo label printer?

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 21:29:07 +0000, T i m wrote:

On 14 Dec 2016 21:01:23 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

T i m wrote:
So, plug it into a Pi3 and share it but is it supported by Linux?

Yes, there's a CUPS driver. It's even written by Dymo:
http://www.dymo.com/en-GB/dymo-label...ups-linux-p--1

Cool. ;-)

Works on the Pi too:
https://www.hmazter.com/2013/05/rasp...or-labelwriter

Nice walk through (at first glance) and I will be a good test to see
just how comprehensive it is. ;-)

I spent the best part of half a day today, going through that walk
through (the fact that it was a Pi1b didn't help the speed) and it
mostly seemed to work. My eyes aren't brilliant and my copy-typing is
even worse but I only made a few typos that I eventually corrected
(spotting the errors etc).

I got the Dymo driver downloaded and installed and CUPS configured via
a text html client (links2) but that's where it started to go a bit
awry. It initially looked like the print driver had been installed but
then it had gone, so because I hate the CLI (for reasons given above)
I installed webmin and after following some other walkthroughs (that
covered adding SAMBA so the Windows PC's could see the printer etc)
and resetting passwords that hadn't seemed to be taken (or asked for),
managed to get it all working!

So, I can SSH into the Pi with Putty (but am still stuck with the CLI.
I can get into CUPS remote admin (with the user 'root'?) and can get
into Webmin now back with the std Raspbian defaults.

I've got another Pi3b on the way and that might make the remote
consoles a bit quicker and give me WiFi if I want to make the Pi /
printer fully portable around the house. That will give me a chance to
go though it all again and see if it goes smoother. Rather than using
webmin ... a long time ago you could just type 'startx' and have a gui
for configuring stuff but not have it start automaticaly at bootup?

I was thinking of designing and printing a 3D base that contained the
Pi and a 24 to 5V buck converter so I can plug the Dymo 450 PSU into
the new 'base' and there would be a flying lead back to power the
printer (24V) and a short USB cable.

Cheers, T i m