Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to the sidewall?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 04:47:29 -0800 (PST), advised:

If I were the only driver on the planet, and never drove closer than
500 meters from another living creature, this discussion might be
relevant at the level of detail incurred so far.

The reason men here can *fix* things, is the same reason that men can build
airplanes and rockets and fly around the earth and to the moon.

The simple reason is that men who can "do stuff" pay attention to *detail*.
Specifically, without paying attention to detail, nobody can build or fix
anything.

Specifically, detail is required to *understand* how things work, where
those who can't handle such detail are doomed in many endeavors in life.

Worse, men (like you appear to be) who can't handle detail, are doomed to
make completely incorrect conclusions, since all you see is the top layer
of everything which is complex.

Since you only see the top layer, you see nothing of the detail underneath,
dooming you to ascribe causes to things which are just not the case.

In fact, you're forever doomed to make incorrect conclusions, simply
because you (apparently) lack the ability to handle detail (which is
required for comprehensive thought processes).

But, I drive on crowded roads with other drivers who have lives of
their own. And the occasional school bus with a few dozen children on
board. And the occasional fluids-tanker or propane tanker with flammable
and explosive materials on board.

Um. OK. So do we all.

While you don't seem to be able to handle detail, you do seem to handle
fear very well.

The only reason you added that otherwise meaningless statement above was to
increase the fear, since *emotion* is what you feel given you are
apparently unable to comprehend detail.

What you're doing with that statement above is what all politicians do when
they want the masses to be mislead. You are working on pure emotion, hoping
your audience is, like you, unable to comprehend your lack of detail.

So, here we are on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Speed Limit: 70).
And my left-front tire shatters on a curve. I start spinning into the
other lane and waffle a school bus into a gasoline tanker. *POOF*.

There should be an analysis upcoming of what caused the tire to "shatter".
In that analysis, I would expect detail from most men, but not from you.
From you, all I expect is upcoming emotion.

Turns out that the tire-removal, patching, balancing and re-installation
were all mine, using Harbor Freight tools based on advice received in this
venue.

Your complete and utter lack of detail makes your entire argument moot.
What exactly caused your left-front tire to "shatter"?

You don't have a clue.
Therefore, all you have is emotion.

What is my ethical position?
Pretty wretched in any case, and probably criminal.

Again, you'd make a great politician because you lack detail and yet, you
ply emotion instead.

It is very clear, at least to me, that this idiot in search of a village
has the ethics of a politician, the morals of an evangelical preacher
and the wisdom of a common housefly.

What I find amazing is that I have been responding to you, in line, where I
have ascribed the ethics and tactics of a politician to YOU.

Me?
I provide far too much detail and truth to be a politician.

And all this blather is about avoiding 'bad news' and having to take
responsibility for his actions. Why would I go to a mechanic to align
my vehicle, patch a tire or do any number of other fairly simple tasks?

That you use the word "blather" when detail was provided shows *exactly*
how your mind works.

Engineering detail is "blather" to you.
Hence, your only input is purely emotional.

Because that mechanic is trained to see things that I do not.

Thank you for stating for yourself, exactly what I have surmised from your
very words, which is that you are incapable of handling detail.

You should recognize this inability to handle detail for what it is, which
is a disability I don't have. I have *plenty* of other disabilities mind
you (e.g., I go far too deeply into detail for my own good), so it is
cathartic for you to recognize that most of your technical conclusions will
be wrong, since you are operating on sheer emotion.

As long as you know your limitations, you won't be a danger to society.

I know mine - which is that I spend far too much time and energy on things
that are merely interesting in their myriad details.

This newsgroup seems to have *plenty* of political posts (for some odd
reason), so you should be happy here, as am I as there are few, but
existent engineering style posts also.

That mechanic (and ours are very, very good) will tell me what I need
to know whether I like it or not.

You are incapable of making that assessment because you lack the details
that I have which is critical in assessing whether a mechanic actually
performs the job correctly.

All you're operating on is intuitive emotion.
I'm pretty sure you're a Myers-Briggs highly intuitive person.

That's fine - but you're also a highly Judgmental person, which, put
together, makes all your *decisions* dangerous (but that's a topic for
alt.psychology newsgroups).

And my mechanic DOES use the right tool for the job, does not accept
"good enough" and more.

Again, you operate on pure intuitive emotion, sans any valid facts.
That means your opinions are based on absolutely nothing concrete.
At best, you'll be 50% correct, although you'll be convinced that you are
100% correct since you are the one assessing yourself.

Do not engage with this creature.

You do realize that you're operating, like a girl, on pure emotion, right?
This is a thread about how to properly repair a tire.
This newsgroup is apropos for such a discussion.

Your discussion is really apropos for a newsgroup titled more akin to
men.who.wear.ladies.pink.panties or some such rot.

[real men] will ask and ask [for detail] in many different ways

Exactly. Detail scares you.

You really may be one who is better off in the psychology groups since you
seem to be *afraid* of detail, such that anyone who delves into detail
scares you so much that you actually fall to the depths of depravity to
stoop so low as to warn others that people may ask for detail on the
automobile and home and science repair newsgroups.

Your use of "it" shows your depravity indeed.
Therefore I discount you out of hand, for utter lack of detail.

You're the same kind of Myers-Briggs person who is highly intuitive and
highly judgemental, who actually thinks cell phones cause accidents
(without a shred of detailed reliable proof backing up your claims).