Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to the sidewall?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 06:41:59 -0800 (PST), trader_4 advised:

I'm wondering if I can slice off the auger and put it in a drill.
Anyone done that?

Coming from a guy that has no issues breaking the beads on tires
and changing them at home, I find that rather odd. I've used
the basic reamer that
comes in the $6 plug kits to work on nail holes. It takes some
force to work it in, but I didn't have any real trouble. And
how many times do you even do this? I've done about three in
the last 15 years.

I used to get about 1 flat a year, but now I'm getting about 3 flats a
year, but I live where there is a lot of construction activity so I think
nails are bouncing off of trucks.

It wasn't hard to round up friends with flats, so I'm not the only one
here. We canvassed the neighborhood (we're a tightly knit group) and found
one sedan with two nails embedded in the tires (that neighbor is ordering
tires as we speak and we'll do hers, if she wants us to).

As for the reamer, I know they sell a special carbide bit for that purpose.

Apparently the reason for the reaming is to "smooth" the sharp edges of the
steel treads.

Googling, the 3/16 & 7/32 carbide bits are pricey for what they a
$42
http://www.bowessealfast.com/p-954-3...-tt-37345.aspx
$40 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111595283123
$40 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161376268450
$23 https://www.jbtoolsales.com/shark-bt15-carbide-burr/

Regarding the force, I am surprised you have the strength to force a
relatively blunt almost 1/4-inch tool into a hole in thick rubber that is
the size of a thin nail.

I have tried so I know I don't have that strength.
Not without power tools anyway.

Having tried it, I doubt you have the strength either, but I'll let the
others chime in because maybe it's possible - but - certainly it takes
extreme strength to do it where a power tool would make it easier.

What do you have against using a power tool anyway?