Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to the sidewall?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 01:11:13 -0500, Steve W. advised:

For practice on techniques the cheap string plugs are good. They will
even work on a good repair as long as you prep the hole correctly.

That's good advice.

As for "prepping" the hole, all I know is you're supposed to "ream" it with
the auger provided in the kit.

That auger worked for larger (bolt) holes but small nail holes were too
small. I needed *power*.

I'm wondering if I can slice off the auger and put it in a drill.
Anyone done that?

I have a variety of different repair materials depending on the tire and
it's intended use.

My home patch kit contains:
a. T-handled auger & insertion tools
b. Grease pen (white)
c. Pliers (needlenose)
d. Patches
e. Vulcanizing cement
f. scraper (wire brush works faster)

What else is needed? (ah, I see the answer below)

A mushroom plug gun that works great as a quick plug, and they get used
a lot on lawn, ATV and golf cart tires.
http://www.stopngo.com/

Ah, that would be a nice tool to have!
It's fast - but for home use, we don't really need fast.

I wonder if it fits the RMA (rubber manufacturers association) guidelines
which seem to require a patch and a plug whereas this is mostly just a
plug.

Good string plugs -
http://safetyseal.com/index.php

Interesting that their string plugs are nylon yarn, with 250% rubber!

combo patch/plugs and boots, plus various other supplies.
http://www.blackjacktirerepair.com/

That's a very nice site for tools and supplies!

I love the fact the standard (we can assume that's P type?) wheel weights
are inexpensive, at about $7 for a box of 25 which is about 30 cents each.
http://www.blackjacktirerepair.com/c...eights-1-1-1-1

A box of 50 1-1/2 inch 0.453-inch diameter rubber valve stems is $16 which
is about 30 to 35 cents each.
http://www.blackjacktirerepair.com/vs-414

It's interesting they have "euro style" and "usa style" radial tubeless
tire patches (what's the difference? Is it just metric sizes?) at
http://www.blackjacktirerepair.com/patches-boots

I *love* that site as it seems to have all that we need (I am looking for a
better wire buffing brush, for example).