Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to thesidewall?

Frank Baron wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 16:52:29 -0500, advised:

And steel belts are hell on plugs, and if fractured can really cause
problems with tread squirm and tire integrety.

Hi Clare,

I patched five tires with the goopy string plugs, and then cut them flush
on both sides, and then put a patch on top of the plugs.

I know they sell a one-piece patch-plug, but that seemed like overkill for
my tests so I just wonder what you recommend for two-piece plugs if a
one-piece patch-plug isn't around.

Would you do it the way I did it, or differently?

For practice on techniques the cheap string plugs are good. They will
even work on a good repair as long as you prep the hole correctly.

I have a variety of different repair materials depending on the tire and
it's intended use.

A mushroom plug gun that works great as a quick plug, and they get used
a lot on lawn, ATV and golf cart tires.
http://www.stopngo.com/

Good string plugs -
http://safetyseal.com/index.php

combo patch/plugs and boots, plus various other supplies.
http://www.blackjacktirerepair.com/

--
Steve W.