Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to the sidewall?

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 18:25:31 -0500, Meanie wrote:

On 12/21/2016 5:18 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 16:22:54 -0500, Meanie wrote:

On 12/21/2016 2:31 PM, Frank Baron wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:08:54 -0500, Meanie advised:

Those holes are nowhere near the sidewall to be off concern. I've
patched/plugged holes much closer than that. In fact, I plugged a hole a
few mm from the corner and it held up for the remaining tread life.

If the patch/plug job is well prepped and well applied, there shouldn't
be a reason it will fail.

Thanks Meanie, as that was the kind of information I was seeking.
How close can you get to the edge, and, why.

Keep in mind, the industry standard requires patches within right to
left tread area only and never to patch a hole larger than 1/4". Thus, a
repair facility will not usually patch or plug a tire beyond that area.
My experience is just that...mine and I have plugged/patch a few tires
in my days. I've plugged a few tires in my days to help friends and
because service shops will not or just to save a few buck.

Overall, it depends on the tire brand as I don't know how much they
differ in design or placement of their belts. I know the more expensive
brands (Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, etc.) have stronger sidewalls
than the cheaper and would benefit a patched hole near the edge. Also,
low profile tires have shorter sidewalls and offer greater strength over
higher sidewall tires.

I am assuming it flexes more at the edges.
I am assuming that flex will eventually work the patch free.

Yes, they will flex at the edge and down the sidewall but the tread
portion remains in contact with the road. IMO, a plug or patch anywhere
along the tread area should hold if prepped properly.

Th eproblem with belt edge repairs is in the way the belt is
manufactured - the edge of the belt has similar too the "selve edge"
on broadcloth fabric - the "weave" is different to provide a
non-ravelling edge to provide strength. A plug too close to the edge
of the belt damages this re-enforced edge, risking a belt rupture
Generally speaking an inch and a quarter in from the edge or shoulder
of the tread is as close as repairs are recommended. The last bit of
the belt is a worse problem than the actual shoulder, outside the belt
area.

A fractured belt can do a LOT of damage to a car when it lets go -
even if it does not cause loss of control. I've seen fenders (wings to
our British friends) torn off or totally destroyed by an exploding
tire belt, and the side of a travel trailer totally demolished.

I agree about the damage a tire can do

Throughout the years, I have often heard warnings such as dropping or
painting a motorcycle helmet halts it's ability to protect, patching or
plugging a motorcycle or car tire is dangerous, etc. and I've have yet
to hear. read or experience any mishaps related from such an event. Not
saying it hasn't happened, but I've yet to hear about such a case. I
won't dispute the possibilities, but I also believe many warnings are in
place for the manufacturer to protect themselves from liability and
warranty. Thus, each person should proceed at their own risk.

I have done many repair jobs on car and motorcycle tires to save money
while growing up. I do so now cause I know how even though I can afford
to have it done or replace a product but I cannot see replacing a good
product because it has a minor flaw. Could I be at risk? Possibly, but
it's a risk I've taken often and I'm willing to take again due to the
100% success rate thus far.

a repaired Michelin X came apart on a friend's Rover 2000 sedan in
Zambia and it took the rear febser and wheelwell apart. The rear tire
in my brothers Dodge Aspenn (a Zeta 40M from UniRoyal - back in 1972)
lost it's belt at 70mph on the Burlington Ontario Skyway bridge and
did a lot of damage and almost killed him. I've seen tires with the
steel belt badly rusted and kicked over an inch to the side without
coming apart - but the tire wagged the car like a dog's tail..
When you do something dangerous it usually DOES work just fine - until
it doesn't.
That said, the warnings ARE there to protect the manufacturer - and
are followed by concientious businesses to keep their liability
insurance rates low enough to be able to stay in business.

Repairing your own tires is your own risk, primarily.