Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default lubricant for zinc and aluminum alloys

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 00:41:45 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 10:35:05 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 00:19:19 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

I just resurrected a Panavise for holding circuit boards.

Nice, I wouldn't mind having one. Need to stumble on a deal

I just assembled one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272279931838
It was under $16, delivered, or it can be bought from Home Depot. There
are just four screws to put the end bars on the bottom, and it took
under a minute.

Do you buy all your electronics needs from Home Depot, Mikey? That's
certainly a strange source for a PCB vise. I love it!

I have several of the Panavise holders, but this takes up less bench
space. The Panavise were Hamfest finds, 25+ years ago, for $15 each.
They were from a closed down electronics plant, in Bushnel Florida.

A miniature pipe-style vise with rotating jaws came with a
Locksmithing course back in the '80s. It has a suction cup base which
is still working today, amazingly. Must be EPDM or Viton rather than
plain rubber.

Question to the group: What in the hell gives Chinese rubber the
ghastly smell it has? Ye gads, that stuff reeks. Whenever I buy
something with Chi rubber in it, it has to sit outside for a minimum
of two weeks to degas. shudder

I wonder the same. The smell of harbor freight is truly horrible.

It's from rancid animal fats used to make the rubber. Don't ask what
kind of animals.