Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Meanie[_6_] Meanie[_6_] is offline

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to thesidewall?

On 12/21/2016 2:31 PM, Frank Baron wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:08:54 -0500, Meanie advised:

Those holes are nowhere near the sidewall to be off concern. I've
patched/plugged holes much closer than that. In fact, I plugged a hole a
few mm from the corner and it held up for the remaining tread life.

If the patch/plug job is well prepped and well applied, there shouldn't
be a reason it will fail.

Thanks Meanie, as that was the kind of information I was seeking.
How close can you get to the edge, and, why.

Keep in mind, the industry standard requires patches within right to
left tread area only and never to patch a hole larger than 1/4". Thus, a
repair facility will not usually patch or plug a tire beyond that area.
My experience is just that...mine and I have plugged/patch a few tires
in my days. I've plugged a few tires in my days to help friends and
because service shops will not or just to save a few buck.

Overall, it depends on the tire brand as I don't know how much they
differ in design or placement of their belts. I know the more expensive
brands (Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, etc.) have stronger sidewalls
than the cheaper and would benefit a patched hole near the edge. Also,
low profile tires have shorter sidewalls and offer greater strength over
higher sidewall tires.

I am assuming it flexes more at the edges.
I am assuming that flex will eventually work the patch free.

Yes, they will flex at the edge and down the sidewall but the tread
portion remains in contact with the road. IMO, a plug or patch anywhere
along the tread area should hold if prepped properly.

Is that correct?

BTW, what *size* & *shape* patches do you put over the protruding plug?
http://i.cubeupload.com/MGkwIO.jpg

I tried a small round patch (which was a bit bumpy):
http://i.cubeupload.com/heSWKF.jpg

And a bigger patch which was flatter:
http://i.cubeupload.com/0zUbny.jpg

Also what do you use at home to cut the plug off flush?
http://i.cubeupload.com/ll4kKR.jpg

It would have been nice to get the plug cut more flush than this:
http://i.cubeupload.com/35mRC3.jpg

Although, when I buffed it with the wire wheel, it was flush:
http://i.cubeupload.com/ZoudZU.jpg

A patch roughly 1" to 1 1/4" in diameter is sufficient but I also
recommend a patch/plug combo if one can be used. Otherwise, it is
important to ensure that proper prep is performed.

In the areas you plugged, if you're just using a plug, there is no need
to remove the tire, You can simply plug the hole from the outside.
There's no need to cut the plug on the inside. But in those open areas,
a patch/plug is better.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzgyWDUwMA==/$T2eC16VHJGYE9nooiLK+BQUlyRvG4Q~~60_57.JPG?set_id= 8800005007
if you want to ensure a good seal. You protrude the plug from the inside
out. The patch makes contact with the inner tire and the plug sticks out
from the tread. That is where you cut using a pair of dykes.
http://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/imag...5727864-24.jpg
You don't want to cut the plug flush. It is best to leave some
straddling out. As it makes contact with the road, it will help seal the
area from the outside. Even if the hole is inside a tread, cut if flush
with the top of the tread. As the tire wears, so will the plug stem.