Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Meanie[_6_] Meanie[_6_] is offline

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to thesidewall?

On 12/21/2016 2:42 PM, Frank Baron wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 13:58:01 -0500, Meanie advised:

I'm very aware of the tire design. That doesn't erase the fact of proper
patching/plugging them. As I stated, your holes aren't even neat the
sidewall. Thus, I'm wondering why you'd even be concerned in those
locations.

I think you replied to "Frank" who is different than I am, so you're both
in agreement that you can get to the edge of the tire tread.

You're correct, my apologies.

As I replied to Frank, I hadn't realized there were circumferential steel
belts on top of radial nylon plies, so, it seems (but I'm not sure) that
the delineation line is the edge of the steel belts.
http://www.tirefailures.com/images/t...ad-diagram.jpg

The problem is, of course, figuring out *where* those steel belt edges lie:
http://www.tirefailures.com/images_v...ireCutaway.jpg

From the diagrams, they seem to lie just below the last tread marks:
https://www.lesschwab.com/images/bac...ire_layers.jpg

From what you said, the sides that don't have belts flex so much that the
patch would fall off. Is that a correct assessment of the edge problem?