Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to the sidewall?

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:08:54 -0500, Meanie advised:

Those holes are nowhere near the sidewall to be off concern. I've
patched/plugged holes much closer than that. In fact, I plugged a hole a
few mm from the corner and it held up for the remaining tread life.

If the patch/plug job is well prepped and well applied, there shouldn't
be a reason it will fail.

Thanks Meanie, as that was the kind of information I was seeking.
How close can you get to the edge, and, why.

I am assuming it flexes more at the edges.
I am assuming that flex will eventually work the patch free.

Is that correct?

BTW, what *size* & *shape* patches do you put over the protruding plug?
http://i.cubeupload.com/MGkwIO.jpg

I tried a small round patch (which was a bit bumpy):
http://i.cubeupload.com/heSWKF.jpg

And a bigger patch which was flatter:
http://i.cubeupload.com/0zUbny.jpg

Also what do you use at home to cut the plug off flush?
http://i.cubeupload.com/ll4kKR.jpg

It would have been nice to get the plug cut more flush than this:
http://i.cubeupload.com/35mRC3.jpg

Although, when I buffed it with the wire wheel, it was flush:
http://i.cubeupload.com/ZoudZU.jpg