Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default lubricant for zinc and aluminum alloys

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 14:21:41 -0500
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

snip
The Panavise have option solder reel holders, but I prefer to have
the roll sitting near where I'm working. It allows for a lower profile,
which is better on my wrists.

I used to save old plastic Solder Wick holders. Rewind them with
solder. Had my go-to 63/37 x .031, a Silver Solder alloy and a finer
60/40 x .020. That way I could write what they were on the container
and they were easy for me to handle. Had some really big stuff too,
that would stay rolled up on its own in short lengths...

I used maybe a pound a year, suspect you go through a whole lot
more...

Thanks for getting me to go look at what the sizes were. I found a new
roll of 63/37 x .031 that I forgot I had. That was my favorite and I
thought it was pretty much all gone

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b