Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default lubricant for zinc and aluminum alloys

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 10:35:05 -0500
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

snip
I just assembled one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272279931838
It was under $16, delivered, or it can be bought from Home Depot. There
are just four screws to put the end bars on the bottom, and it took
under a minute.

I like it, would have been nice to have back when I was working.

It will come in handy for boards up to about 9.375" wide. The two
clamps are about 2.5" above the crossbar. The spring applies decent
tension, to keep a board from slipping. Unlike the Panavise, you can
center the work area between the clamps, to make it fairly steady. The
Panavise, I often needed to remove the bard and turn it arround to make
it steady enough to desolder components.

I have several of the Panavise holders, but this takes up less bench
space. The Panavise were Hamfest finds, 25+ years ago, for $15 each.
They were from a closed down electronics plant, in Bushnel Florida.

The Panavise holders as I remember them were a lot more robust than
your ebay item. A LOT more expensive too. Nowadays I would like one for
holding odd shaped items now and them. They had quite the jaw span.

The wider they were, the harder it was to keep them stable.

The PanaVise 366 Wide Opening Head or Panavise Model 376 Self-Centering
Wide Opening Head would probably be a better choices...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vise-Head-11...-/381804417381

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PanaVise-366...-/252352762225

We have a whole lot more affordable choices nowadays

The Panavise have option solder reel holders, but I prefer to have
the roll sitting near where I'm working. It allows for a lower profile,
which is better on my wrists.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.