Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Deep Book Dive

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 06:10:29 -0600, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:29:36 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

snip
My friend took home 20 boxes of books, and I took home ten boxes of books,
an unused 2"-6" hole gage still sealed in the plastic in the original box, a
3/8 torque wrench new unused (cheap import), a 36 or 40 inch wood lathe,
most of the parts of a tool grinder, some other misc tools, a sausage
stuffer, a few cherry picked books, a couple presses that I have no idea
what they are for, and a big yellow metal box that I think is some kind of
spot welder.

The house is still so pack with stuff it doesn't look like we removed
anything. I doubt if we looked at 5% of what is there.

The big yellow box says Eagle 2000 on the side of it and its heavy. One
lead has a magnetic clamp and the other has a solid copper electrode with a
big D-handle and a trigger button. There is a timer on the front of the big
yellow box.

Perhaps it's a stud welder. Auto body people use them to weld studs
onto the sheetmetal, screw a slide-hammer puller onto the stud, and
pull the dent out. They then break off the stud, grind it flat, and
solder or bondo the remaining ding out. These welders are used over
inaccessible areas like the rear quarter panel, where they can't get a
dolly or slap hammer behind it. Perhaps ask a local body shop's most
ancient body man whether he recognizes the name or tool.

It was either very obscure its its pretty old. I could not find a Google
image or a refference to it, so it may be pre internet. Its heavy enough I
suspect it has a copper transformer, and not an aluminum one, and it has
four wheels. The only thing is it has a standard 110 plug on it. The leads
are pretty heavy. 3 or 4 times the size of those on my cracker box. Heck
nearly twice the size of the leads on my Miller 212.

Oh, yeah. In the box with the parts of the tool grinder I found one metal
lathe chuck jaw. Makes me want to go back over and see if there is a metal
lathe buried in there some where.

I have no idea what I am going to do with these ten boxes of books. LOL.

I've got a sister like that, but she's been taking care of Dad, who
turns 97 tomorrow, so we'll worry about her problem later.

My next door neighbor just built a large air conditioned shop with
mezzanine for his woodworking. He's now in the process of trying to
empty the shop he was renting, which was so packed, he couldn't
actually do much of anything. It's still packed, there's a large pile
of his junk out back, and he told me he's renting two storage units.

I think he's actually making an effort, has a scrapper over at the
rented shop and a dino box, because the new shop is already full as it
can get if he expects to do anything in there.

My shop is ok, not big enough to store much. Some stuff is in the
garage. But one of my sons wanted to do some reloading, so now I've
got to figure out where to store in process stuff he's working on so I
can get back to fixing my cousin's bar stools. They're steel with
welded on casters which are worn out, so I'm chopping off the old,
welding on new plates to take bolted on larger casters. Welding is
relatively incompatible with reloading on the same bench.

You are a do-er, Bob. I imagine you'll sort through those boxes and
donate them to a local charity rather than let them clutter up your
space. Going back with a metal detector sounds like fun, though. Let
us know what you find.

Har! Excellent idea.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable