Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How many uk.d-i-y members does it take to change a lightbulb?

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 16:59:40 +0200, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 20/12/16 16:49, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 14:24:27 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
TimW wrote:
On 20/12/16 12:55, Tim+ wrote:

Fashions in the use of apostrophes have changed. As long as they
help to clarify rather than confuse, precisely how they are used in
any particular situation relating to plurals seems to me to be of
lesser importance.

Tim

Totally wisdom from this Tim+. A nugget of truth in the dirty dull
swamp of ukdiy.
Tim W

I'd love either of you to explain this. How does adding an apostrophe
where not appropriate help clarity? And example would suffice.

How many i's are there in "initial"?

How many is are there in "initial"?

Both wrong.

How many 'i's are there in 'initial'.

I agree that that works. But it's not the only way.