Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 00:44:17 -0500, advised:

Proper "vegatable soap" tire lube does not allow the tire to slip on
the rim under accelleration or braking after it dries, unlike some
normal "dish soaps"
A proper bead lubricant like "RuGlyde" is most definitely recommended
.
Using the wrong soap increases the likelihood you will need to
re-balance the tire several times over it's lifespan.

Thank you for your advice not to use the wrong soap, as the tire may slip
on the rim, which would making all balancing off.

Here is the soap I used:
http://i.cubeupload.com/DJpG8X.jpg

I did wash it off afterward (as I had also painted the rims black).

Interestingly, when I gave the SUV back to the owner, she didn't even
notice that the four rims went from silver to black!

Because of time constraints (it's not my car, it's that of a relative), I
wasn't able to test drive at speed (no highway nearby and I only had the
vehicle from about 10pm to dawn). So I told her to tell me if it vibrates
on the highway.

I accidentally left the PSI at my test pressure of 45psi (instead of 32psi)
but I don't think she'll even notice but I ask you if it matters?

Does it matter?

She drives like a little old lady, about 20 highway miles a day, and about
30 miles a day of mountain twisting single-lane but very steep (9% grade)
roads.