Andy Hall

Default Are room thermostats out of fashion?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:52:12 +0000, "Ed Sirett"
wrote:

Andy, the Baxi Barcelona is _such_ a poor design no ammount of tinkering
with the electronics could redeem it.

I went to one the other week:
The customer was reporting smell of un/burnt gas/gas fumes in their
utility room. Turned out the the drain plug on the condensate trap had
split in half and was hanging off. Damp flue gasses were filling the room.
[How the f**k did they manage to get CE or GC type approval?]
There was no water on the floor because these boilers don't actually
produce condensate, which is just aswell since when they do (at start up)
it finds it way out by every route _except_ the trap.

Such boilers (chosen by a large installation company) have held/put back
the industry many years.

I'm amazed by this.

Clearly whoever designed this or more realistically selected the off
the shelf components for it just didn't pay attention to detail.

I would have thought that since the prime requirement is safety, any
component that is, in effect in the flue pathway or can become so,
should be thoroughly checked for suitability. Probably this
component has a cost of a penny or two.

In looking through manufacturer installation guides when boiler
selecting I found one (can't remember who now) who has the electronics
board near the top of the appliance close to the heat exchanger.
Great idea for reliability.

I was distinctly underwhelmed by the build quality of the Glow Worm
Fuelsaver that I had before the present boiler. After removing the
inside cover around the burner to replace the thermocouple, the
remaining metalwork has razor sharp edges and corners.
That's just sloppiness and there is no excuse for it.

Clearly the manufacturers are not employing the best from the
engineering profession......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl