Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fun with a shower pump

In article ,
Scott M writes:
Chud wrote:

Thinking about it later I guess a plumber would have started where I finished and saved a lot of time.

A plumber would have just replaced it. Partly as (IME) they don't
understand the inside of things but because it's simpler and more
profitful. Prosaically, as someone who mends many things, there's also
always a danger that a fix won't stay fixed.

A common cause of this is the axial shaft seal has failed, and leaked
water which has found its way into the bearings, generating rust.
Replacement ball bearings are easy to find (they often use the same size
which skateboard wheels use). Shaft seal can be harder depending what
type it is, but before replacing, you need to clean up the shaft where
it passes though the shaft seal - spinning the shaft in a plastic pan
scourer can work (don't melt it), or fine steel wool in bad cases.

You may need a bearing puller to get the old bearings off the shaft,
although often they slide off easily. If the shaft has gone rusty too
(which doesn't often happen), you probably won't be able to get the
old bearings off, and then it's really had it.

--
Andrew Gabriel