Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Solar PV now world's cheapest electricity.

In article , RJH scribeth
thus
On 18/12/2016 14:49, Robin wrote:
On 18/12/2016 10:05, RJH wrote:

But IMHO it's a very impressive model for island communities like Ta'u.

Indeed - but that's (a) a tropical island with steady sunshine through
the year, (b) relatively modest demands (less than 1 MW[1]) and (c)
relatively high prices from previous sources. And even then the solar
PV was only practicable because of funding by the World Bank, EU, and
Pacific Rims states.

Ah - didn't know about the grant funding. From what little I've read, it
looked like a government loan, or perhaps a PFI-type model. Also, high
bills - this isn't of any financial advantage to households, I gather.
Do you have a source for the details? I'm just relying on press reporting.

[1] I knew someone who worked there who like to give people
idiosyncratic angles on what it was like, such as less than 200 street
lights in the whole country

:-)

Only 600 people. Difficult to see how that scales to, say, Croydon.
Costs, relative costs, and technology will need to move along a fair way.

For now, I wonder how far this is from becoming viable:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/ikea/solar-panels/

Scary can you imagine reading the destruction's that would come with it;!..

Bet 'arry I'd love one!
--
Tony Sayer