Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Your rights when stopped in your by a police officer (USA)

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 14:02:49 -0000 (UTC), Roger Blake

On 2016-12-18, wrote:
OTOH I am just honest with them, play the game and I have not actually
got a ticket in almost 3 decades but I get stopped every year or so,
usually that 10-11 over thing.

All I ever tell them (politely) is "I don't answer questions and I will
not consent to a search." Of course I do produce my papers as required,
don't raise my voice or become confrontational. Never had a problem.
(I'm no spring chicken either, BTW.

If I'm a passenger and they query me I simply inform them I do not
carry identification. (This is still America for the time being and
internal passports are not required.)

The only people who consider asserting rights to be radical or crazy
are slaves and tyrants.

White people can usually get away with that, but not everyone ... or
so my black friends say. If a cop wants you to have a long day, he can
make your day pretty miserable and still be within the legal power we
give them. I still say the average cop will assume innocent people do
not need "rights" if they are doing nothing wrong. The words
"reasonable suspicion" keeps replacing "probable cause" in these
SCOTUS decisions and that opens up a huge gray area. They usually make
this a weapons search and if they get lucky and find other contraband
it is still admitted in court.
The worst example is TSA at the airport. They can virtually strip
search anyone who gets on a plane without any cause at all and if they
find a joint in your sock or simply "too much money" in your pocket
you can be prosecuted for the contraband or simply be forced to
forfeit the money and have to sue to get it back.