Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] a_lurker@anonymous.invalid is offline

Default Perhaps this is the real fusion breakthrough...

On 15/12/2016 16:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 16:07:35 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 14:06:08 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

I've always wondered if there is a way to use nuclear power to generate
electricity directly ? Rather than all that faff with steam |(and the
associated inefficiencies).

MHD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet...amic_generator
Efficiencies are low, around 20%, but can be raised to ~60% if the
plasma is then used to raise steam, when the whole process including
efficiency becomes broadly comparable to CCGT.

Fascinating, but not what I envisaged.

I had some (very !!!!) vague idea of maybe two radioactive substances
somehow joined to deliver a current across the assembly.

Sort of a nuclear equivalent to a chemical battery.

I have no idea how or if it would be possible.

Given the state of knowledge of sub atomic physics, is anyone qualified
to say it *isn't* possible ?

Although possibility and practicality are not necessarily connected ...

(Makes note to self to ensure Royal Institute lectures are recorded )

Well there's this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_battery

but at 100 microwatts it's definitely a niche solution.

P.