Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Your rights when stopped in your by a police officer (USA)

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 03:24:44 -0000 (UTC), Roger Blake

On 2016-12-17, wrote:
Maryland V. Wilson and cases building on that.

Not everyone carries ID. They can't make you produce something
that you don't have. I personally never carry ID when not driving.

Certainly you don't have to produce what you don't have but it doesn't
stop them from asking and as the original poster pointed out, this is
really all about the interrogation in the first place. The cop is
looking for something more than a traffic ticket.
OTOH I am just honest with them, play the game and I have not actually
got a ticket in almost 3 decades but I get stopped every year or so,
usually that 10-11 over thing.
They see my old red Prelude and expect to see a kid. I am 70. ;-)
The only time a cop wanted to look around my car, after digging
through empty coffee cups and Burger King wrappers on the floor for a
while, he said I could go.