Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Frozen push pull cables, best approaches

"Ignoramus18807" wrote in
message ...
I have a couple of forklifts with push pull cables.

It appears that water made its way into some of them and it freezes
up
and they become 100% inoperable, until thawed.

On one forklift, I blame its design as rain can drip onto the ends
of
those cables. On the other, I am puzzled as it has a roof, and yet
it
does freeze up.

We took off one cable, warmed up, water dripped out and now it
works
fine. But my question is how to prevent this from happening, as the
outcome of such things is extremely alloying.

That specific one cable that we took out and let water out of, looks
decent, like cables on page 1236 of McMaster catalog. And yet water
makes it there and it freezes up.

Is there some way, perhaps, to fill them with grease?

Here's one way:
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0182

In the 70's I bought a large syringe body with a split rubber hose on
the nozzle that could be clamped on the free end of the disconnected
bike throttle or brake cable to force oil in under pressure. It was
tricky to get a good seal and I didn't find it with Google. The
syringe has to have a solid plastic piston, rubber will swell and jam.