Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus4447 Ignoramus4447 is offline

Default Frozen push pull cables, best approaches

On 2016-12-17, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:57:02 -0600, Ignoramus18807
wrote:

I have a couple of forklifts with push pull cables.

It appears that water made its way into some of them and it freezes up
and they become 100% inoperable, until thawed.

On one forklift, I blame its design as rain can drip onto the ends of
those cables. On the other, I am puzzled as it has a roof, and yet it
does freeze up.

We took off one cable, warmed up, water dripped out and now it works
fine. But my question is how to prevent this from happening, as the
outcome of such things is extremely alloying.

That specific one cable that we took out and let water out of, looks
decent, like cables on page 1236 of McMaster catalog. And yet water
makes it there and it freezes up.

Is there some way, perhaps, to fill them with grease?

I used to drip straight glycol antifreee down bowden cables

I found a manual on push pull cables, that says that if such problems
are encountered, they require replacement.

https://www.munciepower.com/cms/file...ll/IN95-03.pdf