Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 00:49:05 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 22:19:32 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 16:34:07 -0500,
wrote:

The heat value of acetylene is a LOT higher than Propane.

Propane is OK for use in a cutting torch, but I'd hate to have to weld
with it. Also, The reason Propane ( and other alternative fuels ) are
not suitable is that when Acetylene is burning with Oxygen it creates
a cone of CO2 forming a shielding gas over the weld puddle. Propane
does not produce this shielding CO2. Even when cutting it makes a LOT
more slag - clean cuts are virtually impossible.

I have read and heard similar things but I have produced beautiful
welded, brazed and silver soldered joints with Oxy Propane. Must be
one of those things that isn't supposed to work, but does.

Brazing and silver soldering uses a flux to take the place of that
sheild gas. Propane or MAPP are fine for soldering and brazing.
TERRIBLE foir welding. Kinda like Mig welding with no gas and not
using flux core wire.

You can keep telling me it doesn't work well for welding, but I have
used oxy-propane and produced beautiful welds.

It killed the mechanic, rendered an F-4 a total loss and blew a large
hole in a blast resistant aircraft shelter. Acetylene is something to
be respected.

When you get down to it - ALL tools should be respected.

OK, good advice, kind of like:

"Treat every gun as if it's loaded and every woman as if she isn't."

That one is mine, you may use it but please provide proper
attribution. ;-)