Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Manual tire changers

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 17:07:34 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 8:36:57 AM UTC-6, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

One minor problem up here. No electrical inspector will EVER pass
them if he sees them - they are not CSA approved, and the fixture
isn't any more either when you re-wire it. The tombstones are not
rated for the 120 volts either. Would you get caught? Mabee, mabee not
- but there are direct fits available that ARE CSA approved and fully
legal, as well as purpose designed LED fixtures - but they do cost a
bit more.

What are you paying for the tubes? just for interest.

I checked some tombstones that I pulled out of some of the about $ 10
shop lights. They are rated for 800 volts and UL listed.

Looks to me like the tombstones should be rated for 120 or more volts as
the lamps are hooked directly to the AC line through a ballast that does
not cut the voltage to a much lowe voltage.

A ballast for a florescent fixture that uses 4 foot bi-pin lamps usually puts out around 600 volts thus the 800 volt rating for the sockets. The insulation for 120/240 volt outlets, switches, screw in lamp sockets and Romex is rated for 600 volts if I remember correctly. If you think about it, a voltage surge will be a much higher voltage than the supply voltage so the insulation in the electrical system of a home needs to be somewhat tolerant of higher voltages. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Insulated Monster

But the high voltage is NOT impressed across the 2 pins. Across the
pins sees only less than 12 volts in typical operation The 600 or 800
vots is the ionization voltage BETWEEN the 2 filaments - from tomstone
to tomestone.