Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Manual tire changers

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:51:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 3:43:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:37:08 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

One minor problem up here. No electrical inspector will EVER pass
them if he sees them - they are not CSA approved, and the fixture
isn't any more either when you re-wire it. The tombstones are not
rated for the 120 volts either. Would you get caught? Mabee, mabee not
- but there are direct fits available that ARE CSA approved and fully
legal, as well as purpose designed LED fixtures - but they do cost a
bit more.

What are you paying for the tubes? just for interest.

I checked some tombstones that I pulled out of some of the about $ 10
shop lights. They are rated for 800 volts and UL listed.

Looks to me like the tombstones should be rated for 120 or more volts as
the lamps are hooked directly to the AC line through a ballast that does
not cut the voltage to a much lowe voltage.

But there is only a low fillament voltage across the pins. They are
certified forn 800 volta across a 4 foot tube, but only for about 10
volts from pin to pin. Do these units put 120 volts from end to end,
or pin to pin. If end to end the CSA certification is valid. If pin to
pin they are not being used for the approved application and are
therefore non-certified. The ones I saw all used 120 volts pin to pin,
which, to put it mildly, scared the crap out of me.

Why does it scare the crap out of you?

I'm talking primarilly about the original tombstones - but also the
FACT that it is "possible" to install a standard tube in that
tombstone - which is NOT SAFE.

However, it's you shop, your fire insurance, your liability
And they are NO DIFFERENT than a standard non-chunted tombstone as
used in virtually every older style flourescent fixture. The listing
on them is NOT for 600 volts pin to pin..

I posted a link to the tombstones sold by EarthLED. They say they are
rated for 600 volts. It doesn't say anything about "over a 4' foot tube".
It specifically says for use with a "single end powered LED" tube.

I'll post it again...

I saw it. Still not impressed. Still won't pass canadian inspection.
Will never neet CSA approval.

https://www.earthled.com/products/th...ersions-4-pack

I'll quote from the link:

"Retrofitting a fluorescent T8 fixture to single end powered LED T8 ballast bypass direct wire tube light? These non-shunted sockets are for you! They allow the wiring of one side of the tube light with a live and neutral connection.

UL Listed
Rated to 600 Volts, 660 Watts
G13 Pin Type"