Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plain bearing example

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 22:47:52 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 08:46:53 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

-snip-
I bought the HF kit to experiment with, knowing it isn't large
enough
to run more than a laptop. Over 5 years its output has degraded to
about 1.6A and the parallel undersized blocking diodes on the input
shorted and had to be replaced with one larger Schottky. Without the
diode the battery can feed back to the panel, creating a
short-circuit
hazard. The digital power meter on my larger roof array also failed
so
now the panels are on the list of connections I unplug before
thunderstorms.

I have an 80' redwood right behind my house, so it would likely
contain any lightning, but I think I'll put an arrestor on the solar
array, too. Not the 45W HF mini, but the 1kW I someday may get onto
the roof. The racking is in!

My metal chimney is well within the cone of protection of the taller
TV mast which is grounded. I heard distant thunder and while I was
unplugging the antennas and camera on the mast there was a loud SNAP
from the unlit (summertime) wood stove which I think was a static
discharge. Soon a wire extended from the ground rod to the chimney.

I'll bet. Good call.

-snip-
Did you get the 100 or 500W model? Was it worth it? I used to have
nice Sun battery tester with pile at work. 0-500W with a huge
dial-up
knob and built-in VOM. Wish I had one now.

500A. If it helps me save one battery or avoid one tow I'm even, two
and I'm ahead. A fixed-current load tester will show a bad battery if
I'm shopping but doesn't measure how much margin remains on the old
ones in my vehicles, or if my experimental charging improves them.

I see your logic.

I had hoped to use it as a discharge test load but the current is
unstable at low settings and the carbon disk stack doesn't seem big
enough to dissipate much continuous power. I have enough power
resistors to run 25A at 28V continuously, or at least for the 1/2 hour
temperature rise test of my Variac + welding transformer charger.

Yeah, the old Sun was considerably more linear than what they're
putting out today, unless you spend $1,500 on a tester.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt