Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Leaky car sump plug issues....

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:59:37 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I was asked to advise a lad who was considering doing his own car
servicing about the tools he would need and I put 'torque wrench'
right up there. The point is, if you are 'new' to that game you may
have no idea what 20 ft/lb feels like and therefore there is a good
chance you could damage something.

Spanners are a different length according to size. Generally on a car for
things that don't matter using that sort of spanner and a decent pull will
tighten things OK. The problem comes with sockets with one size handle for
them all. The trick is to hold the handle closer to the pivot for small
sizes. Anyone who needs a torque wrench for everything needs to practice a
bit more. ;-)

Sump plugs are usually the sort of thing with a very wide range of
acceptable torque. After all it's not holding things together. But
obviously relies on the correct sealing washer in good condition.

I didn't know until a friend told me recently that there was such a thing as an adjustable torque wrench, or any kind of numbers listed in manuals for the car for different torques for different bolts. Isn't it common sense how hard to push?

--
BREAKFAST.SYS halted... Cereal port not responding.