Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Mains Relay

Son's house is wired so he can, via his iPhone and home wifi, control
his central heating etc. etc. from the train.
Not sure what system, but it has a controller for the heating and a
separate controller for the immersion.
The heating is OK, but he didn't read the spec and the immersion took so
much current that the controller died.
He has now, with some drawings from me, wired in a 30A rated relay with
230v ac coil. I bought him a box to mount it in, but it apparently isn't
decorative enough for his walk-in airing cupboard, so as a very
temporary measure he has wired it all up al fresco via the old immersion
isolator switch.
He reports that it all works well except for the buzzing from the relay
coil, which is bound to get louder when it's mounted in a box on the
wall.

I have said I'll ask around to see if anyone knows whether all this type
of relay is noisy, or whether anyone knows how to select a silent type.
--
Bill