Posted to alt.home.repair
itsjoannotjoann itsjoannotjoann is offline

Default Unarmed elderly man with dementia killed by police in Calif.

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 8:00:37 AM UTC-6, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 12/15/2016 11:04 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 4:46:05 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

As I understand it, in most of America it's easy to get a gun. In the UK it's very difficult. You have to prove it's for shooting game etc, and not carry it about in the street.

In the USA anyone of age who is not a convicted felon can purchase
a gun from a dealer. There is also no law anyone cannot purchase
a gun in a parking lot deal. Are those buyers or sellers felons
or in possession of stolen weapons? Maybe, maybe not but there's
no law preventing them from doing the deal.

Do I have a gun? Yes. Do I have a permit to carry it? Yes.
Do I? No.

Then one would think that you'd be better informed (or at least know how
to properly phrase your thoughts/beliefs in writing).

Reading comprehension, it's a wonderful thing. Evidently you did not
read my statements, just skimmed and couldn't wait to attempt to rip
me a new one.

1) There are laws to prohibiting buyers and sellers from dealing in
stolen guns.

Did I not pretty much state that? I said 'licensed dealers.'

2) There are laws prohibiting convicted felons (and some others) from
buying or possessing guns.

I said that, you didn't read it did you?

3) In many states private transactions in firearms are prohibited UNLESS
the buyer and seller abide by background checks through the state.

Like the police are going to be patroling every parking lot looking for
'illegal' gun sales. Criminals don't buy guns, they steal them.

4) In other states, Minnesota for one, you must obtain a permit from the
police in order to purchase a handgun through a licensed dealer.

Goody for Minnesota.

Background checks by licensed gun dealers are performed to PREVENT a
felon or anyone wanted by the polic from purchasing.

So, there ARE laws designed to prohibit the transactions you refer to
but there is also a law - applicable to just about any state, country or
culture you can name that says, "Thou shall not kill."

How's that working to prevent all murders?

Quote me THRUTHFUL figures of _licensed gun owners_ committing
those murders.

How about working on getting all robbers incarcerated?

How about working on getting all the drug dealers locked up?

How about castrating all the pedophiles?

How about giving back all those beatings that spousal abusers
are so eager to commit? (Before you go off half cocked I didn't
say male abusers, I said 'all.')