Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaky car sump plug issues....

On 16/12/16 20:47, jim wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 16/12/16 13:22, jim wrote:
Dowty washers

They'd work *provided* the thread still holds firm.

Spose so. It's cranked up with a 8" adjustable as far as I want to
take it, & still drips a bit.

Beginning to wonder - if the sump's steel & the plug's steel, how
much can I give it before really buggering it up?

What's the failure mode? Sudden catastrophic loosening whilst
tightening?

I would imagine that's the most likely. Given the suspicion of failure,
I'd consider dowty washers (check the rubber is good for the heat, say
110C) or hylomar type products

I did read someat about dowty washers not needing as much torque
to work as compared to metal crush washers...

They're a rubber seal, so no - just tight enough to stop it working
itself loose.