Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Plug-in timer spec ?

Andrew wrote:
On 16/12/2016 17:05, Andy Cap wrote:
On 16/12/16 16:49, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Andy Cap writes:

7 Day Digital LCD Electronic Plug-in Programmable 12/24 Hour Timer
Switch / 30ma RCD

240VAC, 13(4)A, Max. 3120W - Battery back-up - AM/PM or 24 hour display

What does the (4) indicate?

Max current for an inductive load.

Thanks.

So what would that mean in practical terms i.e.
what equipment can and can't be used with it
and how would the man in the street know ?

I have run my Liebherr fridge on one since 2010 when the
thermostat failed just as the 2 year warranty expired,
and the UK agent for Liebherr won't sell me a thermostat.

However, I find that every few days it would lose all its
settings (Smiths timer). Eventually I plugged it into
a BT surge protector that I bought in an electronic
junk shop (ex BT exchange). Problem never re-occurred,
but I never worked out what was causing it. BY the time
I has realised that the fridge wasn't running, many hours
had already passed. I don't have an wireless tat in my house
but the neighbours on the same phase might have.

So beware of spurious resets if you are running something
important.

I gave all my electronic timers to the charity shop. They were a pain
to set up and change. Mechanical timers IME are cheap, easy to use and
reliable.