Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 16:09:50 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 14:59:56 +0000 (UTC), Frank Baron
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:58:11 +0000, Stormin' Norman advised:

That is for a tiny "MC" bottle. A medium size "B" bottle is $44.00.
Those prices are nuts. I understand the prices went through the roof
when the acetylene production plant in Texas exploded a couple of
years ago.

Thanks for the heads' up.
I've seen the tanks my friend has which are about up to my knee.

I'm guessing those are the MC tanks which that site shows are 20 bucks for
10 cubic feet, so that's roughly 2 bucks a cubic foot.
http://tinyurl.com/hwebznk

An MC tank is very small, about twice the size of your average propane
torch bottle. Plumber frequently use them for their Turbo Torches.

A "B" bottle might come up to the knee of a shorter person. It comes
up to about my mid shin.

How much acetylene is a cubic foot in terms of welding time?
Dunno.

All depends upon the size tip you are using.

Note that this price is just one that I got off the net.
It's probably double where I live due to expense and the fact that the
brick-and-mortar shops often charge more than online places.

So I'll assume it's forty bucks for that MC tank for me to get it filled
(or swapped out).

For my use, that's probably ok (acetylene lasts forever, doesn't it)?

Do what you wish. I have a lot of use for my torch, silver soldering,
brazing, welding, cutting etc. $10 to fill a gas grill size tank of
propane is a lot more economical then buying acetylene. Additionally,
acetylene is very dangerous for the uninitiated.

I saw the aftermath of a USMC aviation mechanic who opened the valve,
more than one turn, on a large, unregulated acetylene bottle. With
the gas coming out in such volume at such a high pressure, it created
either a static charge or the friction of the escaping gas produced
enough heat that it caused the gas to ignite and the bottle to
explode.

Acelylene is unstable at anything over about 6PSI, which is why it is
stored under pressure disolved in acetone..

The heat value of acetylene is a LOT higher than Propane.

Propane is OK for use in a cutting torch, but I'd hate to have to weld
with it. Also, The reason Propane ( and other alternative fuels ) are
not suitable is that when Acetylene is burning with Oxygen it creates
a cone of CO2 forming a shielding gas over the weld puddle. Propane
does not produce this shielding CO2. Even when cutting it makes a LOT
more slag - clean cuts are virtually impossible.

It killed the mechanic, rendered an F-4 a total loss and blew a large
hole in a blast resistant aircraft shelter. Acetylene is something to
be respected.

When you get down to it - ALL tools should be respected.