Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 05:53:16 +0000 (UTC), Frank Baron
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:07:02 -0500, advised:

Again. You got something better than the specs?

I believe the scientifically done tire tests - nothing less than
double blind, with 3 or more testers on both sets of tires.

Hi Clare,

You can I both would have no problem choosing tires by the spec is we
actually had those tests in hand, but without those tests in your hand for
every tire (of the dozens you're looking at), how are you going to choose
between them?

Warranty is only a very small indicator of quality -in that if they
were really ****ty tires they could not afford to warrantee them.

We're not disagreeing.
I use warrantee only when everything else is equal.

Then, heck, if one guy has a 50K mile warranty and the other has a 75K mile
warranty, and everything else is equal, sure, I'll go with the longer
warranty. Why not?

Well, I can tell you with certainty that the tires will be basically
unusable long before I put 75000 miles on them!! That's 120,000km -
or 10 years of my average driving on either vehicle. After 6 years the
rubber has hardened to the point they should no longer be driven on
the road, in most cases.

But warranty plays no role when other factors are far more important.

Also "all tires sold in the US are safe" - - Nope. Remember Firestone
721s?? There were quite a few really dangerous tires sold in the USA.

C'mon. Let's not go off on witch hunts here.

It's no witch hunt. There are many cases of "unsafe" tires being sold
in the USA (and Canada)

I think you completely missed the point if you pick the Firestone or
Uniroyal debacles as an indication that tires sold in the US are NOT safe.

It's a fact that tires are safe no matter which ones you buy just as it's a
fact that the Tylenol you get from the drug store doesn't have cyanide in
it.

Sure, once in a while there is a disaster, but there is no buying habit you
can outline that is defensible in this case. What are you gonna do to
mitigate the chance of another Uniroyal/Firestone debacle?

The answer is nothing.
So it serves no purpose for you to bring in the Firestone/Uniroyal outlier.

You may as well say airline travel is unsafe the moment a single airline
crashes, so never fly because flying is unsafe.

No, using simple logic, airflight is still the safest transportation
in the world. Walking is more dangerous when deaths per passenger
(traveller) mile are compaered.

What does anyone have for choosing tires that is better than the specs?

REAL test data.

C'mon Clare. Let's be serious. I'm not a fool.
Your sophistic response works for most people on Usenet because most people
are fools.

But it doesn't work with me.
You justified absolutely nothing of what you said.
I justified everything.

Man, you sound just like Donald Trump!!!!
Trumped up responses.

I buy by the specs printed on the sidewall (and I explained them).

You said you buy tires using better criteria than I do.
Fine.

I ask you the criteria.
You say "real test data".

Fine. I'd love to have real test data for the dozen (or so) tires I look at
but my point was that nobody has this real test data (not consumers
anyway).

You say you have this real test data for the tires you buy.
Fine.
Where is it?

Specifically, where do we get those manufacture test specs for the tires in
question? ( Nexen NPriz AH5 P225/75R15 102S Pattern Code AH5 )

You do get to determine what you are willing to pay, and to decide
what constitutes VALUE for you

C'mon Clare. You don't get the object you want unless you pay the price
that someone else is willing to pay.
That is, YOU don't set the price.
The price is set by all the other people who want the same thing you want.

You think YOU set the price.
You don't.

You can disagree with me, but it's impossible for you to *set* the price of
what constitutes vale to you (if you want the object).

Sure, you can NOT buy the object.
But that just proves my point even more.

Take for example a typical California home in Palo Alto.
What's the price?
About 2 million bucks.
For 2000 square feet and a postage-stamp lawn.

Now, you come along, and you *want* a house in Palo Alto.
What are you willing to pay?

Oh, you're only willing to pay $500K?
Guess what?

You don't get that house.

If you don't want to understand what I just wrote, then that's fine.

But for you to blindly ignore thousands of years of basic economic theory
means that we will just have to disagree with each other.

Sure, you can decide it isn't worth 2 million bucks.
But then you don't get that house.

So, you *still* don't set the price of the house because *plenty* of other
people are willing to pay 2 million for that house that you're not willing
to pay 500K for. And they live in that house. While you don't.

Anyway, this is so basic that I can't believe we're discussing it.
Suffice to say you are welcome to disagree and I think that you missed a
few economics courses in college.

What I mean by that is that you don't pay the price that you are willing to
pay so much as you pay the price that everyone else is willing to pay.

Nope. If I'm not willing to pay the price, I don't buy. Totally my
choice.

You completely missed the entire point.

If you *wanted* the object, but if you're not willing to pay the price that
everyone else is willing to pay, *they* get the object, and you don't.

They set the price. Not you.
This is such a basic part of economic theory that I can't believe we're
even discussing it.

So, you're willing to disagree; but you have to come up with a tenable
argument where you actually *get* the object you want for the price you
want.

No, but you might buy it for $450 in 3 months when the next "fruit of
the day" is released. Being an "earlt adopter" is being a "pioneer" -
defined as the guy laying on his belly in the dust with an arrow in
his back - - - Also known as "bleeding edge"

C'mon Clare. You changed the goal posts. Sure, if you want an iPhone 1 (do
they even exist?) you can get it cheaper now than it was on the day it was
first sold - but the example I gave was a specific object at a specific
time.

It's basic economic theory that market timing is *part* of the product.