Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Manual tire changers

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 16:26:48 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 07:41:11 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I too am curious about Ralph's comments, especially the code
restrictions. Am I mistaken or is he in Canada.

The tubes I ordered came with two, self-adhesive labels to be placed
prominently on each fixture to advise the fixtures have been converted
to LED.

I forgot to comment on this before...

I doubt a label, even if supplied by the LED tube vendor, would sway an
inspector towards passing a fixture that wasn't originally rated for its
"modified use".

All the labels do is warn the user. Labels fade, labels fall off, labels
never get applied. If this really is a code issue - or if enough accidents
happen - then I wouldn't be surprised if (eventually) they change the pin
configuration of LED tubes and supply (sell) LED-specific tombstones.

That would prevent the installation of T8/T12 tubes in a modified fixture.

As an aside, I noticed Costco is selling a two pack of FEIT brand LED
replacement tubes for about $18. I think they were 4100k and 1800
lumens.

I see I erred and it was Clare that made the comments about electrical
codes. I wonder if he has a citation?

I normally don't engage in this kind of rationalization, but I have a
difficult time believing Costco would sell these retrofit tubes if
retrofitting an existing fixture would not pass inspection.

Yes, I know they might, but from a liability perspective, it would
seem to put Costco, with very deep pockets, squarely into the
crosshairs.

They don't sell the conversion tubes in Canada because it is
iullegal. They DO sell the "direct fit" tubes because no modification
is required.

The safety requirements in Canada are generally MUCH more stringent in
the USA. Technically in the US all electrical devices must be UL
"listed" - which really just means they will not burn your house down
in normal use and won't kill you from a distance of 10 feet - or
something like that. It is insurance driven (UL is Underwriters Labs)

In Canada they musr be CSA "approved" - which means there is virtually
no way even an idiot can kill themselves with it, even it the
unlikeliest of circumstances.

The law is not consistantly applied or enforced - but it is a heavy
stick when applied..
I learned all this when employed by a small 3rd tier computer
manufacturer. Getting CSA approval on a system was an expensive and
somewhat daunting task as you needed to certify virtually every
combination of features you were going to offer.

You could start with a CSA approved case, CSA approved power supply,
CSA approved motherboard, video card, modem, NIC, keyboard and mouse
and you still did not have a CSA approved computer - and switching to
a different video card voided the ciertification..
Any non-approved modification of a CSA certified device renders the
CSA certification void..

It is similar to your FAA and a certified plane. Any modifications
without a STC (Supleimental type certificate), or the replacement od
ANYTHING with a non-certified part, or any repair performed by someone
whoi is not a currently licenced AME renders the certification on the
plane VOID - making it illegal to fly - and the penalties are pretty
stiff when applied.