Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Manual tire changers

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 07:29:25 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 10:02:26 AM UTC-5, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 06:39:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 11:42:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 19:45:12 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 9:49:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:30:36 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On 2016-12-14, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Clare's message does not appear in the LED replacement tube thread.

Yeah, it does.

1 D 25:[Stormin' Nor] Review: LED replacements for T8
Fluorescent Tubes
- D-9999 45:[DerbyDad03 ]
3 D 27:[clare@snyder] Manual tire changers

nb
Well, not sure how it happened. I had my Agent application open and
clicked on "post" "New Usenet Message" and filled in the "subject"
line as "manual tire changers" and went from there - SO SORRY if
somehow I offended the sensative adults in the group

AFAIK, no one was offended.

When I first saw your post in the LED thread, there was nothing else for
me to do except ask why you posted your comments in the LED thread. I had
no way of knowing what process you followed, all I knew was that your comments
were unrelated to the OP.

I did find it interesting how strongly you seem to object to what we
were seeing.

"The thread is very plainly titled "manual tire changers" _ don't
know what you are reading - or who's glasses you have on - - - "

and

"Where in the thread entitled "manual tire changers" do you find
ANYTHING about LED tubes???? I STARTED this damned thread."

No one jumped on you, we simply stated the facts based on what we were
actually seeing. On the other hand, you starting yelling at us.

Interesting, indeed.
Like I said - Sorry. In Agent it all looks normal, so I had no Idea I
had screwed up. I must have had something highlighted somewhere in
Agent when I started the new thread. I had not even been following the
LED TUBE thread

It is a curiosity, that's for sure. No biggy.

You should check out the LED tube thread. Stormin and I have just started replacing some
of our ballast-required flourescent tubes with direct wire LED tubes. Same fixture, you just
cut the ballast out of the circuit and wire 120 V directly to the tombstones.

So far, we like them.
One minor problem up here. No electrical inspector will EVER pass
them if he sees them - they are not CSA approved, and the fixture
isn't any more either when you re-wire it. The tombstones are not
rated for the 120 volts either. Would you get caught? Mabee, mabee not
- but there are direct fits available that ARE CSA approved and fully
legal, as well as purpose designed LED fixtures - but they do cost a
bit more.

What are you paying for the tubes? just for interest.

First, I'm curious about this thread thing.

I assume that if you are asking about prices, then you have not seen the
first 2 posts from Stormin' and I regarding the LED tubes that we purchased,
correct?

I assume that you are only seeing the responses since you started the
"Manual tire changers" thread/sub-thread/alternate-universe-thread. ;-)
For some of us, your topic appears as the 3rd post in the LED tube thread
and all the responses just follow in line from there.

I'm really curious as to what you would see if you looked at the thread
entitled "Review: LED replacements for T8 Fluorescent Tubes". Would
you mind checking that out? I wonder if all you see is the first 2
posts.

In any case, here is what Stormin' bought:

http://amzn.to/2h5hwDj

They are apparently "dual-end powered" tubes where the hot is wired to
a tombstone on one of the fixture and the neutral is wired to the
tombstone at the other.

I bought these:

http://tinyurl.com/EarthLED-Tube

These are single end powered so they are wired with the hot and neutral
on a single tombstone with the other end becoming nothing more than a
tube holder.

I paid $12.99 per tube since I bought small quantities. Volume discounts are
available. Similar tubes are $20 at the home centers.

As far as passing an electrical inspection that's a good point. EarthLED
is closed right now, but I'm going to call them later and see what they
say about voiding the UL et al listings.

"The tombstones are not rated for the 120 volts either."

That's an interesting question. I used the tombstones that came with my
fixture. They are non-shunted so they work with the single end tubes.
However, if I had shunted tombstones, I could buy non-shunted tombstones
from EarthLED which are not only UL listed, but also rated for 600V.

https://www.earthled.com/products/th...ersions-4-pack

Now, that doesn't mean the tombstones in *my* fixture are rated for 600V,
but the EarthLED website says:

"Retrofitting a T8 (1 in.) Tube? Be sure to purchase One non-shunted tombstone/lampholder for each tube light. ("Purchase Here" link included)

Have a T12 (1.5 in.) Tube? You are all set! No tombstone change required."

If there was any question as to whether existing tombstones are rated for
120V, I would assume they would mention that and suggest that you buy more
products from them. Instead, they say "No tombstone change required." I
will ask them that question also.

I too am curious about Ralph's comments, especially the code
restrictions. Am I mistaken or is he in Canada.

Clare is in Canada. He is the one that mention possible problems with
the inspectors. I don't know where Ralph lives but was the one that
mentioned the voltage rating on the tombstones he pulled out.

The tubes I ordered came with two, self-adhesive labels to be placed
prominently on each fixture to advise the fixtures have been converted
to LED.

As an aside, I noticed Costco is selling a two pack of FEIT brand LED
replacement tubes for about $18. I think they were 4100k and 1800
lumens.

HD has some 1800 lumen tubes also. I think they might be to dim.

The Feits will almost burn your retinas if you look directly at them.