Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Questions which came up only AFTER I drilled a hole in concrete

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 10:44:00 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:

....snip...

I had some cheap off brand saw years ago. When it finally died on me I
bought the Stihl. When it works, it works great. But it can be really
hard to start. I've put new plugs, new air filters, even had the local
saw shop go through it and rebuild the carb for me. It's still finicky.
With my current adjustments I can usually start it OK when it's cold. But
once I run it for a while and shut it off, it refuses to start again. I
have to let it cool down before it will restart. Frustrating when there
is work to do. By the time I get it started, I'm too tired to use it.

Have you tried setting the choke half closed when trying a warm start?

My snow blower requires full choke to start when cold (regardless of the
air temperature) and half choke to start when warmed to operating
temperature. It doesn't matter for how short a period it's been off, even
1 second. Once the motor stops, it requires 1/2 choke to restart.

I'm not complaining. It's worked that way for the 6 winters I've owned it
and it's 100% consistent. I'll trade consistency for a very minor
inconvenience any day, especially when it's 11°F and the snow is blowing -
like this morning.