Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unarmed elderly man with dementia killed by police in Calif.

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 12:34:33 PM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
The simple reason is that 99.99% of drivers don't have a gun so it's
all done casual and friendly.

The same is true here. 99.99% of drivers don't have a gun. But it
only takes one bad guy. How lucky do you feel today?

If that is so in the US, then why do your police tell drivers to put their hands where they can see them
and make the driver stay in his/her car?

I've been stopped many times over the years and never been told to
do anything special with my hands. But that's probably because I
pull over, open the window, don't have reefer smoke coming out,
don't have outstanding warrants, and cooperate. I don't recall being
told to stay in the car either. But that's what I just naturally do.
A big part of staying in your car is for your own safety, so you don't
get hit by a car.

And one time I was pulled over for speeding on my Harley and I
had 3 pistols on the bike. The only difference in that instance
was the cop called for backup. Otherwise, it was like any other
road stop, except that the cops asked me to take the pistols
out of the saddle bags. So, there I was, at the side of the road,
laying out my pistols on the hood of the cop car. But they didn't
have their guns out, they didn't tell me what to do with my hands.

When it was all over, I got a ticket for speeding. I was just
about to ask the cop why his second or third question was if I
had any guns with me. But, before I could ask, he said that
next time when I left the pistol range it would be a good idea
to take my pistol range ID card off my jacket.

Hmm, that's a different story to what I've seen in Youtube videos and

been told from other Americans first hand.
Maybe procedures differ from state to state?

I haven't been stopped by the police for almost 20 years. If I were
to be stopped, I'd be keep my hands up on the wheel just to let the
officer know I'm not a threat. It's just good sense.

My husband has a concealed-carry permit. When he was in the classes
required to get the permit, he was told that police routinely do a
database lookup from their car before approaching a vehicle that
he stopped, so the police already know if the driver has a carry
permit (assuming he's driving his own car).

He was, in fact, pulled over for speeding while on the way to
the pistol range, during a "fundraiser" by the local LEOs.
He put his hands on the wheel, and said to the officer
"I have a concealed carry permit. I am not carrying, but
I am on my way to name of range and they are locked up
in the back of the SUV." He avoided using the word "gun",
lest the partner back in the car hear that word over the
microphone that the officer had clipped to his collar,
and think that the officer was announcing that my husband
had a gun. Plain and simple common sense.

Incidentally, my husband never carries. He got the permit
so that he could load his magazines at home rather than having
to do it at the range. They travel outside the gun.

Cindy Hamilton