Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] is offline

Default Leaky car sump plug issues....

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
jim wrote:
"Dan S. MacAbre" Wrote in message:
jim wrote:
jim k Wrote in message:
"Dan S. MacAbre" Wrote in message:
jim wrote:

vw sump plug slow drippy leak....

I believe these vw plugs seal on the thread rather than the
"crushable/copper washer against the sump body" style....

This one drips even with a new sump plug.

Much goggling warns of stripping threads in sump body through
overtightening and dropped/damaged sump plugs wearing the
threads of the sump and causing the leaks...

Any tried & tested solutions to this?

Ultimately a new sump is indicated, but until then anything worth
trying?

TIA

BTW, if the plug does have a shoulder, then maybe it's just the
case that the washer is missing? OTOH, if it has a 'conical'
thread, and no shoulder, then your assumption is correct. Seems
an odd way to do it, though. What model is it? Easy to search
ebay for 'VW whatever sump plug washer', just to see if they
exist.

Ah well put like that I dug some mo-

a: sump is
steel not alloy, new sump part is

£50 new (ebay) plus fitting of course.

b: sump plug is steel & does have a "silvery" not copper, metal
washer.

I got under for a look/fiddle & tbh I don't want to tighten it
anymore than I have done! :-)

I personally wouldn't replace the sump, just because the plug is
leaking, unless it is very obvious that the thread is nackered. I
wouldn't tighten it any more, either. I'd take the plug out (oil
will fly out!), clean the hole and the plug threads, and put it back
with something really viscous. Hylomar is my favourite.

Note that the sump plug is also the natural place for a leak from
anywhere else to run to. Oil can creep slowly around the outside
surface of the engine, and still look like it's dripping from the
plug. Unless you can get it on ramps and get under it, it's very
hard to be sure. Maybe put some chalk dust on it and leave it for a
few hours, and see if a track is left in it.

Unless it's really obvious that it /is/ coming from the plug?

Yup been under and watched & wiped :-)

Like I suggested, PTFE tape.
Drain the oil, clean the plug.
Make a seal with the tape on the shoulder of the plug.
Must be worth a go?

Definitely.