Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Leaky car sump plug issues....

jim k Wrote in message:
"Dan S. MacAbre" Wrote in message:
jim wrote:

vw sump plug slow drippy leak....

I believe these vw plugs seal on the thread rather than the
"crushable/copper washer against the sump body" style....

This one drips even with a new sump plug.

Much goggling warns of stripping threads in sump body through
overtightening and dropped/damaged sump plugs wearing the
threads of the sump and causing the leaks...

Any tried & tested solutions to this?

Ultimately a new sump is indicated, but until then anything worth
trying?

TIA

BTW, if the plug does have a shoulder, then maybe it's just the case
that the washer is missing? OTOH, if it has a 'conical' thread, and no
shoulder, then your assumption is correct. Seems an odd way to do it,
though. What model is it? Easy to search ebay for 'VW whatever sump
plug washer', just to see if they exist.

Ah well put like that I dug some mo-

a: sump is
steel not alloy, new sump part is

£50 new (ebay) plus fitting of course.

b: sump plug is steel & does have a "silvery" not copper, metal washer.

I got under for a look/fiddle & tbh I don't want to tighten it
anymore than I have done! :-)

--
Jim K