Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Leaky car sump plug issues....

T i m Wrote in message:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 11:02:31 +0200, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

Re the sump plug ... depending on the age, value and general condition
of the vehicle and the lack of any 'better' solutions and based on the
idea the thread is stripping in the sump itself ... I might get a new
sump plug (nice fresh thread) and drill and tap the middle as large as
possible (on my lathe g) to take a bolt and copper washer and then
bond the plug back into the chemically cleaned sump hole using
something like 'Liquid metal' epoxy.

You could first drain the sump with the drain hole at the lowest point
then jack the car to raise the hole and leave it a while before
cleaning the sump threads out with some acetone on a cotton rag.

Novel solution that should actually work.

Thanks and yes, I wouldn't offer it as a solution if I wasn't pretty
sure it would work (all things considered).

Yes seen that idea on sale - along with various inserts helicoil
etc, retaps, self-tapping nasties, and something that looks good
and comparatively easy - "Dowty washers"...

Anyone care to critique?
TIA
--
Jim K