Ed Sirett

Default Are room thermostats out of fashion?

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:24:27 +0000, Steven Briggs wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes

[snip praise of technology way beyond the comprehension of most
Plumbers!]

Andy, I didn't realise your MAN Micromat boiler was so clever.
If only the UK industry would drag itself into the 21 century with some
decent control technology. The cost of implementation is next to FA, a
mid-range PIC or similar could do the job for a few quid. Even I could
knock something together in a week or so's work, and I only dabble with
PIC's and software occasionally.
Mind, can you imagine your average Corgi optimising the PID parameters
of the controller

Right now most of the combi market have modulating burners and some sort
of anti-short cycling control as standard, so do all most condensing
models and many system boilers.
Installing middling and low tech boiler which only just scrape into Part L
compliance is not part of my game. (Eg. potterton Profile 'L'/Kingfisher
IIs etc)

In one or two installs for older people I have not tried to upgrade to a
programmable thermostat because user confusion would undoubtedly cost more
energy (mine and my van's fuel) that what it might save.
However these installs have most/all TRVs and a boiler with in built
anticycling controls.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk