Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default Questions which came up only AFTER I drilled a hole in concrete

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 16:49:04 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband advised:

Sadly, being polite and considerate seems to be disappearing from our
culture. Profanities and being rude or insulting has somehow become
"funny" or normal to many people. I don't get it, maybe I'm just too old.

On Usenet, it's pretty common to be impolite.
I am guilty of that myself.
Mea culpa.

I don't know what a "stretcher" is

It's a contraption that lets you stretch carpet in a room so it lays flat.

Thanks. I never laid carpet nor fixed a bumpy one.

I have been thinking about getting a cordless battery powered chainsaw.

I have used them. At least the Ryobi brand that Home Depot sells for around
100 bucks since a neighbor bought one. It's OK. It runs for about an hour.
If all you need is 1 hour at a time, it's ok. But his is only 8 inches (as
I recall) whereas most chainsaws are 18 or so inches (yes, I know they
vary, but 18 inches is pretty common out here).

I have a nice Stihl gas chainsaw but I probably only use it once or twice a
year to cut up firewood.

I have a husky but Stihl is even better (yes, I know about all the
discussions on which is better).

It's always a hassle mixing up the oil and gas and
trying to make sure the fuel is fresh so it doesn't gum up the engine. It's
also hard to start in the middle of winter when a tree comes down, or when
it's hot from using it. Not to mention the noise and exhaust that comes
with using it. Somehow I always seem to be out of gas when I need the saw
the most.

Mixing oil with the gas is a pain, I agree.

I keep a 1 liter soda bottle and a spoon measure in my chainsaw box.
I put a measure of oil into the soda bottle and fill the soda bottle with
gas, and shake the bejeesus out of it, and then I pour it into the
chainsaw.

1 liter gets me a few hours of chain sawing.

I assume you are talking about torsion springs that mount on the rod above
the door (not extension springs that mount on either side of the door).
Either way, the automotive spring compressor would be useless for that.

OK. Just wondered. I wish I could have watched how the guy replaced them
because it seems like black magic to wind them up since they're about 3
inches thick and they go across the top of the door on a rod.

An advantage of doing it yourself is you can spend the money on beefy
springs, instead of on someone's labor. That way they last longer.