Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian-Gaff Brian-Gaff is offline

Default Leaky car sump plug issues....

Would that stand the heat? I'd be more thinking of central heating sealant
but whether it would work for oil is another matter. I do know many years
ago a problem like this was fixed by draining it, fit cleaning out thread
and plug and using some horrible stuff called engenamel or similar when it
was put in then left to dry and oil replaced.
I would imagine it would make said plug almost impossible to get out
afterwards though. i always thought that stuff needed highish heat to go off
properly but I'm no mechanic and it is used inside some gearboxes.
brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
jim wrote:
vw sump plug slow drippy leak....

I believe these vw plugs seal on the thread rather than the
"crushable/copper washer against the sump body" style....

This one drips even with a new sump plug.

Much goggling warns of stripping threads in sump body through
overtightening and dropped/damaged sump plugs wearing the
threads of the sump and causing the leaks...

Any tried & tested solutions to this?

Ultimately a new sump is indicated, but until then anything worth
trying?

TIA

Try PTFE tape as a seal?