Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Charging parallelled 12v car batteries "in situ"

Bill Wright wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It isnt a car, it’s a piece of farm machinery that doesn’t get used a
lot.

Yes you said. It doesn't really matter.

Corse it does.

No it doesn't.

Corse it does.

I have a car that doesn't get used a lot. I have a willy that doesn't get
used a lot and when I do want to use it it often won't start.

I was talking about why it has two batterys in parallel,
not what happens with stuff that isnt used a lot.

If it was designed to start on one battery that should be all it needs.

And if it never was designed to start on one battery, it wouldn't be.

Agreed, but very few things have two batteries.

But that piece of farm machinery may be one of them.

Usually they have one, sized appropriately. There are as we have discussed
possible problems with two smaller batteries.

Clearly it has a pair of paralleled batterys for a reason.

If one battery won't produce enough current to turn the engine over fast
enough

You don’t know that is the problem.

He said he was having trouble starting it.

But that may not be due to not be due to not
being able to turn the engine over fast enough.

If the machine was turning over qiuickly but not starting he wouldn't
suspect the battery.

Duh.

then there's something wrong.

Not if was always designed to need two batterys in parallel to start it.

Agreed but that's very unusual as I said.

But is seen WITH SOME FARM MACHINERY.

I was assuming the OP would have the intelligence to discount my remark if
it was the case.

He may well do that because you went on about
cars and he has a piece of FARM MACHINERY.

The battery, the cables, the starter, or the engine.

You don’t know that there is any fault at all.

I do, the guy said it wouldn't start. Therefore there's a fault.

It may just be that the battery doesn’t get charged enough
with the small amount of use it gets. He was asking about
how to charge the battery and he may well have decided
that that is the problem, it isnt getting fully charged after
having been used to start the FARM MACHINERY.

Things are supposed to start.

But if they arent used for long enough after they have
been started, the batterys may not be fully charged
and that may well be why he asked about how to
charge them other than by running the machine
for longer than it is used for.

Shall I tell you about my willy again?

No point, it was always irrelevant to his situation.

If it doesn't run for long enough to recharge the battery after starting

That does appear to be the problem.

then yes, you'll need some auxiliary charging. The little solar chargers
aren't much use. The bigger ones are better. Unless the vehicle is in a
barn!

In which case it should be possible to plug it in in
the barn to allow it to be charged when in there.

Not all barns have an electric supply.

I meant plug the bigger solar charger
into the machine when it is in the barn.

Barns that are detached from habitation or remote from it usually don't.
Why did you say that anyway?

Because it is one obvious way to have a bigger solar
charger charge the batterys when it is in the barn.
The bigger solar charger would obviously be outside
the barn with some wire to the machine inside the barn.

You're just sniping without a target.

Wrong. You just didn’t understand what I was talking
about plugging in. I didn’t mean plug in the mains,
I mean plug in the bigger solar charger.

Got out of bed the wrong side?

You're projecting now.